Water Integrity is one path towards Good WATER GOVERNANCE
General governance requirements that rule core processes in water utilities are the following:
- How funds from the national/municipal budget are allocated to the utility;
- The way in which a utility is audited (internally and externally);
- How the utility conducts procurement of goods and services;
- How the utility manages recruitment and promotions.
Governance requirements imposed by actors in the water sector are:
- How water (quantity and quality) is allocated to the utilities and within utilities;
- Which standards apply for sewage disposal and wastewater reuse;
- How tariffs for water and sewerage services are set;
- Which service standards apply;
- How, when and what the utilities have to report to supervisory bodies.